Monday, November 13, 2017

Middle Grade Monday: The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade by Jordan Sonnenblick

Sometimes I coordinate my review with the Daily Booktalk for our morning announcements. I read and reviewed this back in July. Even though I was posting the Daily Booktalk to my blog and our school's public library web page through the summer, I chose to wait until school started to make sure as many students heard as possible. Then I forgot. Until Thursday, when I heard Jordan speak twice about the two books he has out this year. Remedying now:



The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade by Jordan Sonnenblick. 193 p. Scholastic Press/ Scholastic Inc., August, 2017. 9780545863223.

Middle Grade Monday features The Secret Sheriff of Sixth Grade by Jordan Sonnenblick. This is the story of Maverick who is entering sixth grade. To say that his life has been tough is an understatement. His dad died while on deployment in Afghanistan and his alcoholic mom can't seem to hold a steady job or find a stable boyfriend - or, at least one that doesn't hit her. Mav has been the parent to his mom, constantly protecting her when he rarely has enough to eat or clothes that are clean or fit. Jordan Sonnenblick is a master at telling a sad story with a light hand and there's always hope in his stories. While you will cry, there is also a lot of humor in this affecting story.

No comments:

Post a Comment