Friday, November 10, 2017

Friday Memes: The Serpent's Secret by Sayantani Dasgupta

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.



The Serpent's Secret by Sayantani Dasgupta. Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #1 368 p. Scholastic Press/ Scholastic Inc., February 27, 2018. 9781338185706.

Publisher synopsis: Meet Kiranmala: Interdimensional Demon Slayer (Only she doesn't know it yet.)

On the morning of her twelfth birthday, Kiranmala is just a regular sixth grader living in Parsippany, New Jersey...until her parents mysteriously vanish and a drooling rakkhosh demon slams through her kitchen, determined to eat her alive. Turns out there might be some truth to her parents' fantastical stories - like how Kiranmala is a real Indian princess and how she comes from a secret place not of this world. Gripping and hilarious, The Serpent's Secret is a magical journey to a land inspired by Indian mythology, with would building as vibrant as the characters themselves. 

First line: The day my parents got stalled by a rakkhosh and whisked away to another galactic dimension was a pretty crap-tastic day. The fact that it was actually my twelfth birthday made it all that much worse.

Page 56: "I'm sorry guys, I can't do this anymore." My voice shook and I swiped furiously at my nose. "I mean, killer demons? Different dimensions? Black holes? I'm just an ordinary kid from New Jersey. I can't deal with all this!"
     Lal's face softened and he looked like he was going to say something nice, but his brother cut him off with a furious exclamation. "Don't be such a 2-D!"
     I whipped around. "What did you call me?"
     "A flatfoot, a ruler, a 2-D!" Neel ground out the words like they were curses.

**********

Ever since I read Sarwat Chadda's Ash Mistry trilogy, I've been eager to read more books featuring Indian mythology and folklore. I am so happy to have received this arc! 

2 comments: