Tuesday, November 3, 2020

November is Picture Book Month! Review: Madeline Finn and the Library Dog by Lisa Papp

Madeline Finn and the Library Dog by Lisa Papp. unpgd. Peachtree Publishers, March, 2020. 9781682630594. (Review of paperback edition borrowed from public library.)

I found this sweet book on the new book display at my local library and couldn't resist that sweet cover and the word, library. That's the way to a librarian's heart! But, I'm no pushover!

We've all had a few Madeline Finn's in our life. The child who hates to read. The child who struggles to read. The child who hates to read because he/ she struggles to read. I was one of those struggling readers who eventually learned to love to read. I was in "group three," the lowest of the low. The group that was behind in the Dick and Jane series. The group that looked on enviously as the kids in group one roared with laughter over something humorous in one of the stories. The group that was the last to laugh and we didn't really once we finally got there. So Madeline is me.

Aside from that personal connection to a long ago younger me. This story pulls the reader in with both words and illustrations. The reader FEELS Madeline's frustration and aches for her. It's beautifully wrought and allows both readers and non-readers alike to empathize/ sympathize with Madeline. 

This book is just gorgeous and I'm sorry that I missed its hardcover release several years ago, but happy that my library featured it prominently. 



No comments:

Post a Comment