Sunday, November 8, 2020

November is Picture Book Month! I Talk Like a River by Jordan Scott

I Talk Like a River by Jordan Scott. Illustrated by Sydney Smith. 40 p. Neal Porter Books/ Holiday House, September, 2020. 978823445592. (Review of book borrowed from the public library.)

A boy awakens each morning dreading having to speak. He stutters and school, as well as the letters, P, C, and M are torture. His dad calls these days, "bad speech" days and he takes his son to the river, where they walk companionably. The quiet and alone time work their magic. His dad tells him that he talks "like a river." As the boy contemplates this, the reader opens a stunning gatefold. 

This first-person picture book caught me by surprise. I was unprepared at how emotional I got. The spare, evocative text is utterly heartbreaking and just when you feel you might be crushed, Dad comes quietly to the rescue. This was such a beautiful depiction of a father-son relationship - so comforting and hopeful. 

In the author's note that follows, readers learn that the author stuttered and the book is autobiographical. His dad took him to the river on bad speech days. 

I Talk Like a River belongs in all school and classroom libraries. I am gifting it to each young person in my life and will probably read it aloud to my fifth and sixth graders! I think it will be a perfect read aloud to tie in figurative language as well as a bit of SEL (social-emotional learning.) It's also a wonderful antidote to the vicious unkindness that has flourished the last four years and a celebration of hope for the next four.

Visit the publisher website to view a short video of both creators talking about the book. There's also a terrific discussion guide.This is definitely high up on my faves list. Too bad the book can't be considered by the Caldecott Committee. It's not to be missed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment