Saturday, June 22, 2019

ALAAC19 - Friday

Friday was a long, eventful day and I was too tired to process and write about it last night. I should've because today was even more packed and I need to talk about both days. It's 8:30 PM and I am beat but in a good way. 

I spent Friday morning walking. After I registered, I headed to the Mall. I got there at the Museum of Natural History, which, I thought, maybe I will pop in. But the line was quite long. I mean, dinosaurs! So I turned right and walked. It was a gorgeous, breezy day with tons of interesting clouds. As I approached the Museum of American History, I considered going in, but it was so gorgeous, I decided to walk as much of the Mall as possible before my lunch date with Greystone Kids. 

I ended up walking clear down to the Lincoln Memorial. Saw Constitution Gardens, the Vietnam War Memorial, the Female Vietnam Memorial, Korean Memorial and WWII Memorial before wondering if I should hoof it 1.8 miles to Le Mirch. 






I wonder what the story is behind that downed tree!

Google Maps app is a curious thing. I thought I was headed in the right direction, then realized I was walking the wrong way. I grabbed a cab. 

Lunch was intimate and fascinating. Greystone Kids is an imprint of Greystone publishing house based in Canada. Patrice Aldana runs the imprint and is a woman with a mission. She is committed to publishing books from around the world. 

Holiday House hosted a cocktail hour at The Press Club and wow! What an event. Great authors in a storied venue. Fitting that Barry Wittenstein and Jerry Pinkney's book, A Place to Land, was featured at The Press Club as it is right across the street from the Willard, which is where MLK stayed the night before his famous "I Have a Dream" speech. I got to hold the finished copy of the book in my hands and it is GORGEOUS! I got to talk to Christian Robinson, Eric Velasquez, Matt Cordell, and Jerry Pinkney himself!

 








I had hoped to stop at my hotel to freshen up but walked the wrong way. Again. Then found my way to Simon & Schuster's Night of Novels at Bobby Van's Grille. Five authors were featured. They all spoke briefly about their books, then speed-dated. I had to leave a bit early to cab to the Library of Congress because I somehow lucked into snagging a ticket to the Coretta Scott King 50th anniversary gala!

It was magical! There was a program first, followed by a reception in the gallery. I was so stuffed from all the food all day, I could not partake. I also got really tired and left a bit early. I just could not process another conversation. 

 


I left a bit after sunset and was able to see this before grabbing a cab.










No comments:

Post a Comment