Friday, October 23, 2015

Friday Memes: Blackbird Fly by Erin Entrada Kelly

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.


Blackbird Fly by Erin Entrada Kelly. 296 p. Greenwillow Books/ HarperCollins Publishers, March, 2015. 9780062238610.

Publisher synopsis: Future rock star or friendless misfit? That’s no choice at all. In this acclaimed novel, twelve-year-old Apple grapples with being different; with friends and backstabbers; and with following her dreams. Publishers Weekly called Blackbird Fly “a true triumph,” and the Los Angeles Times Book Review said, “Apple soars like the eponymous blackbird of her favorite Beatles song.”

First line: On the day we moved to America, it snowed in Chapel Spring, Louisiana, for the first time in twenty years.

Page 56: A lot of really good songwriters lie in California, like Matt Costa nad Eleisha Eagle, so I thought about asking what music he liked, but instead I asked what book he was reading.
     "The Silmarillion,"  he said. He held it up so I could see the cover. It was by J. R.R. Tolkien. "It's the same guy wh wrote The Lord of the rings."
     "I love that movie," I said.
     "You should read the book.


6 comments:

  1. ENJOY your read.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good story. I imagine my granddaughter will enjoy this book when she's a little older.
    My Friday post features The Paragraph Ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds cute - I'm going to suggest it to my niece - thanks for sharing it. Here's my Book Beginnings & 56

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how he recommends reading over the movie.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/10/23/the-friday-56-83-guarded-a-silverton-chronicles-novel/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good, but it got Blackbird by The Beatles in my head. One of the lyric lines in the song says, Blackbird fly... lol
    Hope you've had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete