Monday, May 7, 2018

Middle Grade Monday: Hoodoo by Ronald L. Smith


Hoodoo by Ronald L. Smith. 208 p. Clarion Books/ Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, September, 2015. 9780544445253. (Own) 

Middle Grade Monday features Hoodoo by Ronald L. Smith. This atmospheric, tale of the supernatural is set in rural Alabama in the 1930s and narrated by twelve-year-old Hoodoo Hatcher. He's the only member of his Hoodoo-practicing family who has no magic. And he needs it the most. There's a mysterious stranger stalking Hoodoo. It seems he has something this stranger wants and his family cannot protect him, try as they might. Hoodoo was published in 2015. Smith's debut was so impressive, he was award the 2016 John Steptoe Award for New Talent by the Coretta Scott King Committee. If you're in the mood for scary, check out Hoodoo.

Review: I am not a fan of horror but I do try to read a few a year to recommend to my students who are. I'd been meaning to get to this since it pubbed and finally did when I purchased the audiobook for my school's collection.



Hoodoo by Ronald L. Smith. Unabridged recording on 5 compact discs. 5 hours, 32 minutes. Read by Ron Butler Jr. Dreamscape Media, December, 2016. (Own.)

New to me narrator Ron Butler paced his performance perfectly. His voices were varied and distinct. He conveyed Hoodoo's earnest innocence well and ratcheted up the suspense effectively. I highly recommend reading this southern gothic horror with your ears or eyes. Just, read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment