Friday, October 13, 2017

Brian Selznick's Wonderstruck (Movie)

Boy, when it rains, it pours! I have been so busy with children's books-related events these last few weeks, but especially this past one! Last night, I had the pleasure of attending a special showing of Brian Selznick's Wonderstruck thanks to Scholastic and Lizette Serrano. 


I brought my husband as a plus one. We met #3 son, who lives and works in Manhattan down the block for dinner. We ate at Uncle Jack's Steakhouse a few doors down from the Whitby Hotel, where the screening was to be held. As NY steakhouses go, this was pretty good. Interesting decor, very attentive waiter and delicious food.

I wondered about how the screening would work at a hotel instead of a movie theater. When I found the smallish, boutiquey place, I really wondered! The lobby was filled with art. We were directed downstairs where there were several rooms, one of which was a screening room with comfy seats. We were welcomed, Brian said hello and the movie commenced.

It has been quite some time since I read the book and I did not have time to reread before the screening but it all came back. While Wonderstruck is not my favorite of Selznick's three bricks, I did like it and am in awe of his style, the magnificent visual storytelling and how he takes the reader on an unforgettable journey in every one of his projects. I think he told a fascinating story and probably introduced a new generation to the wonder of the silent film era as well as a window into the lives of the hearing impaired. 

The movie was just gorgeous. Beautifully cast with veteran and new actors alike; gorgeous cinematography; and music that was just perfect. I was unaware until the interview at the end of the movie that Millicent Simmonds, who stars as Rose, is deaf and that the casting call went out seeking a deaf actress. This is Millicent's first movie and she just shines. Her story is told silently in black and white and her close-ups reveal such intensity and beauty. New York of the 1920s is beautiful as well as the Museum of Natural History.

My husband, who hadn't read the book, thought the film was lovely. So, I hope that it reaches people beyond the children's literature community because it is quite special. 

I rarely go to movies but I am seeing two within the span of a few days. On Sunday, I am joining my colleagues and some students and Sarah Weeks for a special screening of So B. It at the AMC Theaters in the Palisades Mall. Tonight, I am trekking back into the city to listen to Laurie Halse Anderson interview Sherman Alexie. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian turns ten this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment