Friday, February 12, 2016

Friday Memes: Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.



Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt. 183 p. Clarion Books/ Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, October, 2015. 9780544462229. 

Publisher synopsis: The two-time Newbery Honor winner Gary D. Schmidt delivers the shattering story of Joseph, a father at thirteen, who has never seen his daughter, Jupiter. After spending time in a juvenile facility, he’s placed with a foster family on a farm in rural Maine. Here Joseph, damaged and withdrawn, meets twelve-year-old Jack, who narrates the account of the troubled, passionate teen who wants to find his baby at any cost. In this riveting novel, two boys discover the true meaning of family and the sacrifices it requires.

First line: Before you agree to have Joseph come live with you," Mrs. Stroud said, "there are one or two things you ought to understand."

Page 56: "You ever do something like that again, I am personally going to kick you around the perimeter of this gym."
     Joseph looked at him.
     "How?" he said.
    "You would be surprised, " Coach Swieteck said. "Go get changed." He twirled his wheelchair around. 

I adore Gary D. Schmidt's books. I have had this on the tbr forever and am ashamed that it has taken me so long to get to. 

7 comments:

  1. Fascinating. The premise intrigues me and I've been meaning to read this author.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2016/02/12/the-friday-56-94-night-shift-jill-kismet-1/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely want to know more about Joseph after reading that opening sentence. Your 56 excerpt intrigues me too. Sounds like a good story.
    My Friday post features THE HURRICANE SISTERS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph must be difficult. :)

    ENJOY your book and your weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover makes me think of when I was a kid and we would pretend we were flying.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on GR and entered the giveaway. It looks really good!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I've heard of this book and author - will be adding it to my list - great choice. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this author, but this sounds great. :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings) and my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete