Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday - Tales from the Brothers Grimm: Selected and Illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger

WoW is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine


96 p. minedition, October 1, 2013. 9789888240531.

Publisher synopsis:  A gorgeous collection of familiar and lesser-known Grimm tales, illustrated by one of the greatest children’s illustrators of our time
This handsome edition from the well-known collection of fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm contains 11 popular stories. Old favorites such as “Hansel and Gretel” and “The Bremen Town Musicians” are included as are some lesser-known stories such as “The Seven Ravens” and “Hans My Hedgehog.” Lisbeth Zwerger’s evocative and exquisite illustrations perfectly capture the mood of these enduring tales.

I learned about this thanks to Betsy Bird a few weeks ago. I adore Lisbeth Zwerger's work and still collect fairy tale editions though my children long grown. I will be getting this for both my school and personal collections.
I must say, though, that I'm not sure that "The Bremen Town Musicians" is particularly well-known. Some time ago, I polled all my classes at the K -8 school I worked in about my students familiarity with that fairy tale. Only one or two students knew it. It happens to have been a childhood favorite of both mine and my husband's so my sons all grew up hearing it. In fact, I was thrilled to find this
in the Chinaberry catalog many, many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment