Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday Memes: Zits Chillax: a novel by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman

I follow Kathy Martin's blog, Ms. Martin Teaches Media. She also has a blog with the coolest name, Inside of a Dog, but that one is for reviews of the books for adults that she reads and the only reading for adults I do it professional. Anyway, each Friday, on both blogs, she features two Friday memes: Book Beginning Fridays (why not First Line Fridays?) and The Friday 56. They're usually fun to read but until today, I haven't felt compelled to post them.



Zits: Chillax: a novel by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman. 238 p. HarperTeen/ HarperCollins Publishers, May, 2013. 9780062228512. 

Publisher synopsis: Jeremy Duncan, high school sophomore and future rock god, offers up a comedic outlook on teenage life, including school, parents, chores, bands, and friends.
 
Jeremy and his best friend, Hector Garcia, are planning to achieve a lifelong dream…going to a rock concert! Without parental supervision. But the Gingivitis concert falls on the same night their friend Tim is donating bone marrow for his mom, a cancer patient. Not a problem: Jeremy and Hector are determined to go to the show…for Tim.

First line: I can see a bead of sweat clinging to Byczyowski's mustache hairs, and on her it doesn't look bad.

I busted out laughing. I can't remember a time that a first line did that to me. 

Page 56: Okay, I'm cheating. This is from page 55. I turned the page down to highlight the quote for a future review when I noticed the page number. It happens to be Friday morning and I remembered the meme. I quickly read page 56 and didn't find a quote as good as the one I liked on page 55, and I like kind of like the sound of Friday Fifty Five. It works.

     I will never understand most females. They think you 
     have to beat everything to death with words. They 
     take the simplest little thought, strap it to a chair, and
     throttle it senseless with a month's worth of words.
     What's the point? Guys operate way more 
     economically. We can say a lot with a few well-placed 
     dudes.

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and The Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice


3 comments:

  1. You are right -- First Line(s) Friday is better. But I inherited the name when I took over hosting duties!

    ReplyDelete