Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish. This week's theme is "top ten series I missed/ would like to start."

Ah, series fiction. I love/ hate you! As a school librarian, I feel I need to read across genres and as widely as possible in order to be effective in Reader's Advisory. If I get hooked on a series, I am reading it at the expense of another, possibly standalone title. I can't possibly keep up with it all! Ack! 

These are mine in order of likelihood of reading:
Sidebar: does anyone familiar with Blogger know how I can put these images side by side?





The Predator Cities Series by Philip Reeve. This series started with Mortal Engines in 2001. But I missed it somehow, not becoming aware of it until it was talked about a few years ago when Steampunk became popular. I had read Reeve's decidedly un-steampunk Here Lies Arthur and totally loved it. Next, I read and fell in love with Fever Crumb, which is a prequel of sorts to this series. 






The Princess Academy series by Shannon Hale. I cannot believe that I haven't gotten to this, especially since Goose Girl is one of my all-time favorite books! These books recently got popular among the fifth and sixth graders. I think there's some word-of-mouth going on here. 





The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. I picked up these three based on a lot of blogger love and began reading The Iron King. I was about halfway through it and enjoying it, when an eighth grader saw it and begged to read it. So I cataloged my book and gave it to her. Never did get back to it. She loved it, by the way and got the other books from the public library.




Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. I'm not sure if these are exactly a series, but they seem to go together well and are by the same author. They look adorable and I realize that I don't read enough romance. Should remedy that situation soon. Really, enough dystopian and sad, sad stories! 



The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. This one came out around the same time as another series with the word "apprentice" in it. I read that one and somehow, never got around to this one. It is now up to 11 books! So, I'm almost too overwhelmed by how far behind I am to even start it.




 Paranormalcy series by Kiersten White. The first two books of this series was sent in my JLG subscription. I was a bit done with paranormal at the time so I didn't read it; but had a number of students really into it, so I suggested it without reading the series. Word of mouth makes this one a rare shelf sitter.





Across the Universe series by Beth Revis. I have had the first book on TOM, the tbr pile since its publication, but have never gotten to it. Personally, I find the cover change for books 2 & 3 a bit blah.




The Warriors series by Erin Hunter. I am not even going to try and post cover photos as this series spawned at least two additional series. My head is spinning. I really don't need to read this one as it seems to have its own built in fan base and I've bought many of the books by virtue of it.








Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. I have had Delirium on Tom since its publication as well. I also enjoyed Oliver's debut, Before I Fall, which was decidedly skewed to a high school audience. When reviews of Delirium recommended an older audience as well, I kept bumping other middle school friendly titles over it and now I'm three books behind. I see that they are available as audiobooks, so I might take a listen. Who knows? Maybe they can reside on my "eighth grade only" shelf.



Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Sheppard. Here's another series that I will probably never get to, one, because there are so many books in it and, two, because it's a bit mature for my crowd. I always get asked if we have the series in the school library and I always ask, since most of the requesters have read at least one book in the series, "Is it really a book for middle school readers?" Luckily for us all, the public library is right across the street and has one of the best YA collections in Bergen County. 








No comments:

Post a Comment