Friday, January 7, 2022

Fact Friday: African Critters by Robert Haas

Happy Friday TMS Readers! The snow sure is pretty here in NJ. We were supposed to have a delayed opening, but the call came through changing it to a snow day a little before 7. My dogs are excited by the snow, that's for sure. And they will be happy to have me home. I feel bad leaving them each morning. They both look at me so mournfully. The shepherd is almost 8 and the lab is 2. My husband retired when the shepherd was 9 months, so neither dog is used to spending much time without a human. I run home each day during my lunch period to run them out and say hello. They are both fully capable of holding it and would probably adjust to the new schedule, but we are all still mourning our loss and it gives me comfort to see them.



African Critters by Robert Haas. 96 p. National Geographic, 2008. 9781426303173. (Review of finished purchased copy.)

I found this gem while reading my library's shelves! Fact Friday features African Critters by Robert Haas. Mr. Haas is a wildlife photographer for National Geographic. He compiled and sometimes collaged his photos from a handful of his assignments for Nat Geo. His first-person accountings give readers insight into the natural world on the continent of Africa. He and his crew had to figure out where a mama leopard hid her cubs, then they had to set up their cameras and wait patiently for her to go out hunting and for them to emerge. They recorded images of elephants protecting a calf from predators and a pack of wild dogs stalking a herd of antelopes, among others.

The bite-sized bits of information are fascinating, but the images are mesmerizing. Back matter includes an author's note, glossary, index, references and recommended reading of other Nat Geo titles. If you love animals, you will definitely want to check this book out.

No comments:

Post a Comment