Wednesday, April 21, 2021

This and That and Jacket/ Cover Dilemmas: The Boys in the Back Row by Mike Jung

Long ago, when my sons were small and I bought books for my home library, I rarely, if ever removed the jackets and so, never knew if the book cover beneath the dust jacket was different. As a school librarian, I remove the jackets of all books I purchase for my school's collection to cover them with a mylar cover in order to prolong the life of the book. I occasionally come across a surprise-a jacket with different illustration from the cover. 

"Jacket/ Cover Dilemmas" is the occasional post that occurs in my school library life. I know I've failed to document quite a few. Sometimes I take the pic and just post to FB and forget to post here. Other times, I probably forget to tag, and thus the post is un-findable.

Today, I finally got to covering some books I've recently only cataloged. My library has been closed since last March. <Boohoo> Since September, I've been teaching fifth and sixth grade LA to hybrid students on their virtual days. But since early April, the hybrid students are back in school five days per week. Because I taught two hybrid cohorts per class each day, totaling sixteen classes in each two-day cycle, I wondered what I would be given to do. I've been assigned as a support teacher in one fifth grade LA class and one sixth grade LA class. AND! I've been given three periods a day in the library!

This means I could catalog all the books I've acquired through purchasing with my own money or books I received because I've been asked to review. AND I am checking out books to students! They can't come to the library though. One, it's now being used as a classroom, but they are not allowed to leave their cohort. I am so thrilled that students are actively requesting books from me! Yay! 

Which brings me to the point of this post. Thanks for hanging in there!

When I removed the cover of The Boys in the Back Row, I found this.


I probably should've repositioned the jacket better to show the juxtaposition of images - my bad. I appreciate Levine Querido books for so much! First, the books on their list are phenomenal and second, the care the team puts into the design.



No comments:

Post a Comment