Thursday, July 16, 2020

#tbt: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

Image: HarperCollins Publishers
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. 320 p. HarperCollins Publishers, January, 2012. 9780061992254. (Own)


#tbt features The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. I'm breaking my ten-year or older rule again to pair this beloved title with its companion, The One and Only Bob, which was featured on Middle Grade Monday. The One and Only Ivan was published in 2012 and won the 2013 Newbery Medal. The novel is based on a true story and is told from Ivan's point of view in short chapters and gorgeous figurative language. 

As I mentioned on Monday, the book was adapted for film and will stream on Disney+ in August. The book remains popular as more than half of the copies owned by BCCLS libraries are currently checked out. Our local public library owns two copies that are both checked out. Our electronic collection has a waiting list for both the e-book and e-audio. I've read the book both with my eyes and ears. In this instance, my preference is for print due to the darling illustrations and interesting use of white space.

No comments:

Post a Comment