Friday, July 31, 2020

Friday Memes: The Bridge by Bill Konigsberg

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.

Image: Scholastic
The Bridge by Bill Konigsberg. 394 p. Scholastic Press/ Scholastic Inc. September1, 2020. 9781338324058.

Publisher synopsis:

Aaron and Tillie don't know each other, but they are both feeling suicidal, and arrive at the George Washington Bridge at the same time, intending to jump. Aaron is a gay misfit struggling with depression and loneliness. Tillie isn't sure what her problem is -- only that she will never be good enough.

On the bridge, there are four things that could happen:

Aaron jumps and Tillie doesn't.

Tillie jumps and Aaron doesn't.

They both jump.

Neither of them jumps.


First Line(s): 
Can't I have this one moment to myself, please?
     This thought sears in Aaron Boroff's mind as the sobbing girl passes behind him. She's interrupted his solitude as he stares down at the undulating Hudson River from the south side of the George Washington Bridge. 

Page 56:
     "I'm sorry," he says when he can't keep quiet any longer.
     "Whatever for?"
     "You shouldn't have to have a son who has a broken brain. You didn't sign up for this."
     His dad kisses him on the top of the head and grasps his hands.
     "I most definitely did sign up for this," he says.
     Aaron knows it's the truth.
     The hand squeeze tells him it's true. But he can just barely feel the truth of it. 

Wow. I took this book with me yesterday when I had a morning filled with tests and a physician's appointment. I was riveted and, almost didn't mind when my doctor was running over an hour behind schedule. Almost. 

4 comments:

  1. This does sound enticing. I can believe you didn't mind your doctor running late!Please share with us when you are done. Will look into it.

    Here's my Weekend Book Friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely curious now! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “JUST BETWEEN US”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. I absolutely LOVE the sound of this book. It sounds really deep and super emotional, and that 56 snippet gave me chills, but I love it. Definitely gonna have to check this out. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartbreaking!!! Sounds like apowerful read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete