Thursday, April 2, 2020

#tbt: Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

Image: Penguin Random House
Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko. Tales from Alcatraz #1. 240 p. G.P. Putnam's Sons/ Penguin Young Readers, March 30, 2004. 9780399238611. (Own.)

#tbt wishes a slightly belated sixteenth anniversary to Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko. This first book The Tales from Alcatraz series is one of my all-time favorites. Moose Flanagan quickly took up residence in my heart space for favorite characters and my affection for him has grown with each new installment. I wasn't blogging back then, but I distinctly remember hoping it would win the Newbery. It did win an Honor. I still think it should've won the Medal. 

Moose Flanagan has to move to Alcatraz Island when he dad lands a job as an electrician/ prison guard in the prison. All employees and their families were required to live on the island, which meant that Moose and the other children took a boat each day from Alcatraz to San Francisco to attend school. Moose's sister, Natalie has what is now known as autism. Her demeanor and outbursts were not well-understood at the time, nor was it tolerated. Moose has the unenviable position of keeping his older sister safe. Choldenko serves up as many laugh-out-loud as poignant moments in this memorable story. I was so glad there were three sequels. Cracking open a new Tales from Alcatraz book feels like visiting favorite relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment