Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Teen Tuesday and audio review: Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor


Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor. Unabridged e-audiobook. ~8hours. Narrated by Yetide Badaki. Tantor Audio, 2018. 9781977322425. (Review of e-audiobook borrowed from public library. Own hard cover edition.)

Teen Tuesday features Okata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor. This fantastic fantasy is set in Nigeria and its worldbuilding is so vivid, its characters are so engaging, you will not want to leave it. Twelve-year-old Sunny was born in America but has been living in Nigeria for the past three years. She doesn't feel like she fits in anywhere and the fact that she's an albino makes her a target for bullies. Her life begins to change when she meets Orlu, Chichi and Sasha, who introduce her to the Leopard People and help her develop her magic. 

I've had the hardcover since its publication but am so glad that I got to it on audio. The narration was perfectly paced, melodious and certainly added depth to the already epic story. I can't find the sequel, Akata Warrior on audio, so I will be reading that with my eyes soon, with Badaki's voice in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment