Monday, July 17, 2017

The Daily Booktalk: Middle Grade Monday: So B. It by Sarah Weeks


So B. It by Sarah Weeks. 256 p. HarperCollins Publishers, April, 2004. 9780066236223.

I thought of a few other "road trip" books and thought I'd continue featuring that theme through this week. I can't believe I didn't think of So B. It by Sarah Weeks sooner! Twelve-year-old Heidi doesn't know when her birthday day is or even who her father is. She lives in a small apartment with her mentally disabled mother. They are assisted by an agoraphobic neighbor, who also homeschools Heidi. Her mother has only 23 words in her vocabulary, "soof" being one of them. Neither Bernadette nor Heidi can figure out what it means. When Heidi finds an undeveloped roll of film, she decides to set out by herself on a cross-country bus trip to discover the mystery behind her birth.

The movie is releasing in October, shortly after Ms. Weeks spends the day at my school. My students love her books and are quite excited about both the visit and the movie. It seems the movie stayed faithful to the story. Here's a link to the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment