Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Characters Who Stole My Heart

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by Broke and Bookish. This week's theme is all about characters, our choice of theme. Since I am rereading one of my favorite books of all time, this time with my ears and am enjoying revisiting some of my favorite characters, I'm going to share some characters who stole my heart. Five YA and five MG. Five male protagonists, two pairs of boys and girls and three female protagonists.



We Were Here by Matt de la Peña. (Random House/ 2009) This one is on my top ten favorites of all books. I just wanted to adopt Miguel, Mong and Rondell. 



Dear Life, You Suck by Scott Blagden (HMH/ 2013) Cricket is another character I wanted to adopt. His voice still rings in my head. Impressive debut.



Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets by Evan Roskos (HMH, 2013) Another impressive debut, this Morris Award Finalist is narrated by James Whitman, a depressed sixteen-year-old Walt Whitman fanatic.



Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie (Little, Brown/ 2009) Another all-time fave. Junior's story haunted me before it deservedly won the National Book Award. I have reread this one countless times with both my eyes and ears and sloppy sob every time.



Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (St. Martin's Press/ 2013) I read this one with my ears and found I was constantly holding my breath, worried about Eleanor's safety. No surprise when this one garnered a Printz Honor.



Sure Signs of Crazy by Karen Harrington (Little, Brown/ 2013) What do you do when your mother murders your twin brother and attempts to murder you and when you parent your alcoholic father who is quick to pull up stakes and relocate? You write letters to Atticus Finch (a perfect father) and your best friend is a plant. 



The Small Adventure of Popeye and Elvis by Barbara O'Connor (FSG/ 2009) When I think of authors who waste no words, Barbara O'Connor's name tops the list. Popeye is one of my middle grade favorite characters.



Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur (Random House/ 2009) Aubrey bravely tries to live life alone when her mother abandons her one day. Her grandmother comes to the rescue, thank goodness, but it takes a while for Aubrey to open up and trust. 



Chicken Boy by Frances O'Roark Dowell (Atheneum/ 2005) This one has stuck with me the longest. Heartbreaking and hopeful. I think it's time for a reread. The cover has been redesigned. I chose the original cover to post as it's my favorite.



Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage (Penguin/ 2012) Mo and Dale, two best friends, two unique and lovable characters. They return in a sequel, The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing, which is just as good. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice of topic! I haven't read any of these yet, but Love, Aubrey is on my want-to-read list.

    ReplyDelete