Saturday, August 10, 2013

10 for 10 Picture Book Event - Favorite Picture Book Biographies

One of my mottoes is, "You are is never too old for picture books." When I worked on a fixed schedule in a K - 8 school library, I would routinely read picture books to older students. Sometimes it was related to curriculum, sometimes it was just because. They never seemed to mind being read to. Now that I'm in a middle school library and on a flexible schedule, those opportunities don't arise much, but I have shelf space dedicated to fiction picture books and have peppered my biography section with picture book biographies. I'd like to celebrate 10 for 10 by highlighting some unique picture book biographies.

I know, I know. In middle school, the biography assignment usually comes with the 100 page minimum. But so many students have no idea who they want to read about and a picture book biography might be just the ticket to encourage that student to try a longer biography. A teacher might use a picture book biography to introduce a unit of study. A struggling student might only be able to handle a picture book biography. If they are present and routinely used in my library, there will be less reluctance on the part of students to be seen carrying a picture book. 


The Boy Who Loved Math: the improbable life of Paul Erdos by Deborah Heligman. Illustrated by LeUyen Pham. 44 p. Roaring Brook Press, June, 2013. 9781596433078. 

See my review here.


On a Beam of Light: a story of Albert Einstein by Jennifer Berne. Illustrated by Vladimir Radunsky. 56 p. Chronicle Books, April, 2013. 9780811872355. 

See my review here.


Brave Girl: Clara and the Shirtwaist Makers' Strike of 1909 by Michelle Markel. Illustrated by Melissa Sweet. Balzer + Bray, January, 2013. 9780061804428.

I did not get around to reviewing this one for the blog but I can't wait for when school is back in session because I plan on displaying it next to Flesh and Blood So Cheap.


Queenie: one elephant's story by Corinne Felton. 24 p. Candlewick Press, June, 2013. 9780673553759. 

See my review here, sob!


Hoop Genius: how a desperate teacher and a rowdy gym class invented basketball by John Coy. Illustrated by Joe Morse. Lerner Publishing Group, March, 2013. 9780761366171. 

I have enjoyed John Coy's sports fiction and really enjoyed this humorous and readable account of John Naismith's serendipitous invention of basketball. I also admire Joe Morse's art and, while initially, didn't love the style for this story, came to feel they were perfect illustrations.


Becoming Babe Ruth by Matt Tavares. 40 p. Candlewick Press, February, 2013. 9780763656461.

Tavares is another favorite picture book biographer of mine. This one just tugs at the heartstrings. In 1902, seven-year-old George Herman Ruth is turned over to Saint Mary's School for Boys because his parents can't handle him. Brother Mathias takes him under his wing and nurtures his baseball talent. 


Look Up! The Story of the First Woman Astronomer by Robert Burleigh. Illustrated by Raul Colon. 32 p. Paul Wiseman Books/ Simon & Schuster, April, 2010. 9781442481102.

I happened upon this lovely biography shortly after reading Wendy Mass' Every Soul a Star. I had never heard of Henrietta Leavitt, but then, I don't know much about the science of astronomy. The illustrations are just gorgeous.


Self-Portrait with Seven Fingers: the life of Marc Chagall in verse by J. Patrick Lewis and Jane Yolen. 40 p. Creative Editions, August, 2011. 9781568462115.

My husband happens to love the art of Marc Chagall. I happen to be a fan of Lewis and Yolen. The two used Chagall's paintings for biographical poems, which are augmented with text boxes of prose elaborating a bit, as well as black and white photographs of the artist at various ages. 


Fifty Cents and a Dream: young Booker T. Washington by Jabari Asim. Illustrated by Bryan Collier. 48 p. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, December, 2012. 9780316086578.  

See my review here.


Life in the Ocean: the story of oceanographer Sylvia Earle by Clair A. Nivola. 32 p. Frances Foster Books/ Farrar, Straus and Giroux, March, 2012. 9780374380687. 

See my review here.

That makes ten, but I need to add an Honorable Mention.


Monsieur Marceau: actor without words by Leda Schubert. 40 p. Flash Point, September, 2012. 9781596435291.

How can you not smile at that cover? A beautifully illustrated, straightforward and simply told story of a brave man who brought much joy to the world.






4 comments:

  1. These all look amazing! Some of these are new to me. I am especially interested in On a Beam of Light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and thanks for stopping by. Beam of Light is joyful. I am going to pair it in a display with Kathleen Krull's great middle grade biography of Einstein.

    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I whole-heartedly agree that picture book biographies are great jumping off points for research for all ages. You've assembled a fabulous list here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful collection of books. I've reviewed Brave Girl (http://kidlitaboutpolitics.wordpress.com/2013/04/20/brave-girl-clara-and-the-shirtwaist-makers-strike-of-1909/), but I haven't read Flesh and Blood So Cheap. I'm so glad you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete