Friday, April 5, 2013

Cat Talk by Patricia MacLachlan and Emily MacLachlan Charest


Illustrated by Barry Moser. 32 p. HarperCollins Publishers, March 19, 2013. 9780060279783. (Purchased.)

When I spied the cover of this at my favorite indy children's book store, several bells rang at once. I thought I had seen a review. Then, hey, a book of cat poems! And, hey, a Patricia MacLachlan book! But frankly, what clinched the sale was the fact that Barry Moser illustrated it. I have been a fan of his forever, but I especially like his own pet books, the books he wrote with his granddaughter, My Dog Rosie; My Cats Nick and Nora and Our New Puppy.

Thirteen cats weigh in in thirteen poems from a tom cat who reluctantly allows himself to be adopted to a reluctant mouser in a barn who has a secret best friend, through a diva Persian and a grey cat whose owner just wore a white dress. The poems are free-verse and the illustrations are 3/4-page to double page spreads. A pleasing collection for cat fanciers.




No comments:

Post a Comment