Thursday, July 8, 2021

#tbt: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to (Not) Reading by Tommy Greenwald

Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to (Not) Reading by Tommy Greenwald. Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to... #1. 224 p. Roaring Brook Press/ Macmillan Publishers, July, 2011. 9781596436916. (Own.)

If authors ever wonder about whether the grind of keeping a social media presence is worth it, let me assure you that it is. Earlier this week, I scanned my "Daily Book Talk" spreadsheet and realized that I hadn't chosen a book for this week's #tbt. Sometimes, I have #tbt and "Waiting on Wednesday" titles scheduled for weeks or even months and other times, I'm furiously searching that morning for inspiration. So, thank you, Tommy Greenwald for posting about the ten-year anniversary of a book that continues to be my go-to.

Charlie Joe Jackson made it to sixth grade without ever reading a book from beginning to end and he's ready to share his secrets with the world. He does so in short chapters featuring practical advice.

Mr. Greenwald made a splash with his debut, which also happened to be a series starter. The combo of winning, unreliable narrator, realistic middle school drama and hilarious illustrations hits the tween reader sweet spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment