Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Picture Book Review: Free by Sam Usher

Free by Sam Usher. 40 p. templar books/ Candlewick Press, April, 2021. 9781536217049. (Review of finished copy courtesy of publisher.)

I have always loved books that focus on grandparent/ grandchild relationships-even more so now that I've become a grandparent. Sam Usher's Seasons with Grandad series (Snow, Rain, Sun, Storm) has company with this new series starter. 

In Free, our favorite ginger-haired boy (Has he grown a bit?) awakens to find a sick bird on his windowsill. He has been studying birds, as evidenced by the bird books and binoculars on his bed and the bird feeder outside his window. He runs to his granddad demanding to help the bird.* They make a cozy bed, consult some books and give him some water. When the bird perks up, Granddad suggests they put the bird back outside. The boy doesn't want to but Granddad gently insists. The two think "that's that," but the bird has other ideas. It shows up for breakfast, lunch and tea. That's when Granddad decides that the two need to lead the bird back home. And so they do. It is here where the fantastical Mr. Usher imbues in all these books begins. Oh, what an adventure! 

The pen, ink and watercolor spreads charm with warmth and intimate details. Please don't skip the end pages and title page! The story is sure to prompt wonderful discussions with young readers. I can't wait to see what other adventures await the pair in this endearing new series. Don't miss it!

*Just this morning, a movement on the roof of my husband's Jeep caught my eye as I took Boo out for a walk before heading to work. It was a female cardinal and I thought it a curious place for a bird to alight. Then a movement on the ground caught my eye and it was a baby! I looked up to look for a nest in the tree overhanging my driveway, but saw nothing. I puzzled over the problem on our walk, but both birds were nowhere to be seen upon our return. I suppose mama coaxed her baby into a safer spot. Thank goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment