Friday, June 12, 2020

Fact Friday and Arc Review: Kids Fight Plastic: how to be a #2minutesuperhero by Martin Dorey

Kids Fight Plastic: how to be a #2minutesuperhero by Martin Dorey. 128 p. Candlewick Press, September 8, 2020. 9781536215878. (Review of arc courtesy of publisher.)

Happy Friday! It's the second to last Friday of the school year! Fact Friday features Kids Fight Plastic by Martin Dorey. If reading Plastic Ahoy or The Plastic Sea didn't change your use of plastic, this eye-opening book will. Mr. Dorey is an anti-plastic activist who lives in England. He has written this short, accessible book to help children (and adults) survey their use of plastic through a series of sixteen challenges. Would-be super heroes collect points by completing tasks which vary in difficulty. Some require parental assistance.

The art was gray-toned in the arc, but promises the finished copy will be full-color. It's kid-friendly and energetic. The only thing I didn't love about design was the inclusion of baseball-type cards featuring fictional superheroes both human and animal. Not only did they not add anything, but they undermined the text. For example, a dolphin named Helford the Hero fights plastic by fighting the fishing line she was entangled in until she was rescued? I would've much preferred text boxes featuring real eco-warriors. I'm eager to get a student's opinion on this. 

I used to think I was pretty virtuous because I carry my own grocery bags, use a refillable water container and stopped using single-use plastic straws. But, what about my toothbrushes? How about my shampoo bottles? Plastic is everywhere and it's not good for the environment when it's chucked in landfills. Who doesn't love glitter and sparkly wrapping paper? Stop using it! I could go on, but I won't. Let me just say my world is rocked. I need to do better and this book will help me. 

Read Kids Fight Plastic and make your own plan for how you will lessen your negative impact on the environment and increase your positive impact. If everyone does a little, it might lead to a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment