Thursday, July 4, 2019

Review: Which One Doesn't Belong? Playing with shapes by Christopher Danielson

Image: Charlesbridge
Which One Doesn't Belong? Playing with shapes by Christopher Danielson. unpgd. Charlesbridge, February, 2019. 9781580899444. (Review of finished copy courtesy of publisher.)

When I opened my review box a while back and saw this colorful, appealing cover, two things happened nearly at once. First, I started to hum that Sesame Street ditty, "One of these things is not like the other/ One of these things doesn't belong/ Can you guess which thing is not like the other/ Before I finish my song?" Yeah. Then, I figured that after I read and reviewed it, I would send it on to either my husband's niece with young children or my husband's niece who teaches first grade or my elementary school librarian colleague or... You get the picture. 

No way! I am keeping it for my middle school library and using it in my Digital Media Classes. Why? Well, while I can certainly see its use in math classes, I want to use it as an introductory exercise in critical thinking. I am constantly telling my sixth through eighth graders that they need to back up their opinions with reasons or examples. This is usually with regard to book evaluations that I have them write when they cycle through my class. 

There are no wrong answers here! Granted, the example is rather simple. There is easy justification for each shape presented. That is generally the way with examples. The groupings become progressively harder though, requiring a bit more time to parse reasons. The beauty of the book? There are no wrong answers! "The important thing is to have a reason why.Exactly! I can't tell you how many times I have read something like, "The art in this book is amazing." Or, "The writing is really great." I write back something like, "Examples? How was the art amazing?" Or, "What made the writing great? Give examples." My students actually lose points for failing to give examples. I accept even the lamest connection because they made an attempt. I think I might be able to drive home my point with this fun exercise. #nevertoooldforpicturebooks for the win!

I saw on the Charlesbridge site that their's is a reissue and found an image from the original. I must say the colors used in the reissue really pop and increases appeal. Bravo art department! Great choices! There's a guide available and the author's website offers links to resources and blog postings. He's working on a book about patterns now.

Which One Doesn't Belong belongs everywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment