Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Books for Readers Who Like X

TTT is hosted by Broke and Bookish. This week's theme is rather open-ended - top ten books for readers who like X. I chose books with romance for tweens. Every year, it seems, I have one or two fifth graders who are all about crushes and potential boyfriends and kissing. Romance isn't my favorite genre but add the fact that the romance for tweens should be on the tamer side... 

In no particular order:


Shug by Jenny Han. 

I just adore this book. This is the cover of the paperback. My hardcover sports just the red popsicle. I had forgotten that this was Han's first novel. My seventh and eighth graders just love her Summer I Turned Pretty trilogy. 




Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli. 

This one is a slightly harder sell for some reason but I love it. Perhaps the newer cover will be more enticing since it mirrors Stargirl a bit. I thought the old cover was perfectly wonderful.




The Secret Language of Girls (trilogy) by Frances O'Roark Dowell.

I love this one because one character is left behind but stays true to herself. The evolution of the friendship in the entire trilogy rings true and is quite satisfying.


My Life in Dioramas by Tara Altebrando

This one is not due out till April 21. My review is scheduled to run April 13.  


Love and Other Fiascos by Amy Ignatow.

Book six in this wildly popular series is all about couples and crushes.


Drama by Raina Telgemeier.

The cover of this wonderful graphic novel says it all. None of Tegemeier's inventive, engaging books sit on the shelf for very long.
Planet Middle School by Nikki Grimes.

The verse novel features Joylin, who is an extraordinary basketball player who likes nothing better than playing hoops with her best guy friend, Jake. But now Jake's all weird, as is her best gal friend. Why do things have to change.

Revenge of the Flower Girls by Jennifer Ziegler.

This one is just plain fun. The triplets' much older sister is getting married to someone that is just wrong for her and the girls are trying to sabotage the wedding and get their sister back with her ex-boyfriend - the one she should be marrying. This cover is missing the bride and groom under the arch. 


Crush by Gary Paulsen.

This is the only one of the ten that I haven't read. I have read the companion books and my students who have read it report that it's great.


Boys are Dogs by Leslie Margolies.

I did not realize till I looked this up to grab the image that it was the first in a series. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these. I haven't even heard of most of them!

    When I was a tween, most of the books with romance in them were in the YA section. I can recall one series by Jeanne Betancourt about a girl named Aviva that had a tiny bit of romance in it... but I think by the end of the series she was like 14 or something, so it was pushing into YA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Secret Love Language of Girls" looks like a really cute book. Not quite my genre, but beautiful cover. :)
    Visiting from the TTT link-up.

    Aidyl @ Noveltea

    ReplyDelete