Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - All Time Favorite Realistic Fiction

TTT is a weekly meme hosted by Broke and the Bookish. This week's theme is favorite books in the genre of our choice.

I've got so many favorites that I will pick my go-to realistic fiction books when doing Reader's Advisory. They are, in no particular order:


Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick. This is such an easy sell. In fact, I don't need to sell it because my kids come in asking for it and it's usually checked out. Really, anything by Sonnenblick is go-to for me.


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie. Another easy sell. I've read this one many times both with my eyes and my ears and I cry every time. I heard rumors of a sequel awhile back. I hope, hope, hope they're true!


Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman. Shawn's voice is so raw and honest. I haven't had a kid bring it back un-moved.


We Were Here by Matt de la Peña. It was either this or Mexican White Boy, but We Were Here was the first book by this brilliant, young author that I read. 


Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers. Or, anything by Walter Dean Myers. Fallen Angels is my go-to book for boys who want war. There's Sunrise over Fallujah and Invasion to hand out when done.


Shug by Jenny Han. Whenever I have fifth grade girls come in asking for romance, they get Shug. (Or Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen.)

The next two I recommend to girls who want to cry. I also adore the grandmothers in each of them.


Itch by Michelle Kwasney.


Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur.


A Mango-shaped Space by Wendy Mass. I loved this Schneider Family Book Award winner before I recommended it to a girl who read it, loved it and returned it saying, "This is about me! I have synesthesia!"


Millicent Min: Girl Genius by Lisa Yee. You really must read the trilogy as the POV in each is quite hilarious and unique.





1 comment: