Friday, January 27, 2017

Friday Memes: Saturdays with Hitchcock by Ellen Wittlinger

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.

Well, there's not much about this online, I supposed because it's not due out until October. But when I saw piles of the arcs at the Charlesbridge booth at ALAMW, and saw that it was a new book by Ellen Wittlinger, I had to have it. I took a photo of the arc and emailed it to myself but that didn't work. It didn't work yesterday either. So I ended up temporarily posting the picture on FB and copying it to my desktop. Sigh. Technology.


Saturdays with Hitchcock by Ellen Wittlinger. 262 p. Charlesbridge, October 10, 2017. 9781580897754.

Publisher synopsis: From the back cover: Twelve-year-old movie-loving Maisie is dealing with the realities of a grandparent with dementia, a mom who's been laid off from her job, finding out that Gary Hackett like likes her, and a best friend who just confessed that, actually, he likes Gary. Like likes.

Maisie's uncle Walt, a Hollywood actor, provides a welcome diversion from Maisie's problems when he comes to stay with her family after being injured on a movie set. Uncle Walt has a way of pointing Maisie in the right direction. And heading to the local independent theater on Saturdays with her best friend, Cyrus, to see old films keeps Maisie grounded as she struggles with growing up, family tensions, and a love triangle she never expected.

First line: "Hey, you kids!" Mr. Schmitz yells up at us. "Yeah, I'm lookin' at you. The movie's over. Go home!"

Page 56: "Okay!" Hackett seems ridiculously happy, like I just gave him a puppy. "Maybe they'll come to the Lincoln, and we can see them together!"
     Ugh, I didn't mean that. But against my will, my mouth seems to be curving up at one corner. He looks so pleased, it's hard not to be happy along with him. I wish he was wearing long pants.

I grabbed this galley at the booth on Friday night and brought it with me to eat dinner by myself at a restaurant. I was totally captivated by Maisie's voice and wanted to curl up and read it all night. I had decided it would be my plane ride book but inadvertently packed it with the rest of my arcs and shipped it! I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it....as soon as you get your hands on it again!

    My Friday 56 from Chasing Fireflies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, the trials you've gone through with this book. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a clever story with lots of plot lines. I'm curious about how the author ties in the movies. Hope you enjoy the story!
    My Friday post features The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the sound of this! I'm a huge classic movie fan so that has me especially interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so cute and fun.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete