Friday, January 29, 2016

Friday Memes: Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.



Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan. 326 p. Sourcebooks Fire, April 1, 2016. 9781492630142.

Publisher synopsis: 10:00 tonight at the water tower. Tell no one. -Chaos Club


When Max receives a mysterious invite from the untraceable, epic prank-pulling Chaos Club, he has to ask: why him? After all, he's Mr. 2.5 GPA, Mr. No Social Life. He's Just Max. And his favorite heist movies have taught him this situation calls for Rule #4: Be suspicious. But it's also his one shot to leave Just Max in the dust...

Yeah, not so much. Max and four fellow students-who also received invites-are standing on the newly defaced water tower when campus security "catches" them. Definitely a setup. And this time, Max has had enough. It's time for Rule #7: Always get payback.
Let the prank war begin.

Oceans 11 meets The Breakfast Club in this entertaining, fast-paced debut filled with pranks and cons that will keep readers on their toes, never sure who's pulling the strings or what's coming next.

First lineRule #1 in any quality heist film is Don't get caught.

Page 56: My feet unstick from the floor, and I backpedal a few steps before turning and running for my life, the trophy tight in my hands. I zigzag around tables, with Goon's bull-like grunting close behind. I hear other footsteps too, and know that the rest of the lacrosse team is salivating a the chance to kill. kids leap up to watch the excitement, and I race for Potatoe's table.

It seems apropos that this prank/ heist book is being published on April Fool's Day. I recently attended a Sourcebooks preview webinar and, while I jotted down most of the titles to check out/ order, this one rose to the top. I guess all the mg prank/ heist novels I've read in the past year have had an influence. I requested an arc and received it. Thanks, Sourcebooks!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great story. I am spotlighting Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh this week. Look for my review tomorrow. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a diverting read. Enjoy. Here's my Friday Book Confession

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like so much fun. I will have to watch for this one. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a lot of fun! I love a MG book and one that's a prank/heist book sounds even more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd enjoy this one a lot. I'm a HUGE prankster. I love getting my friends and family, all in good fun. :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one a lot! I would definitely say it calls for payback....lol...Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a lot of fun! I'm adding it to my tbr!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete