Friday, January 8, 2016

Friday Memes: The Art of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.


The Art of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander.280 p. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers, April 26, 2016. 9781544633889.

Publisher synopsis: Since her twin brother, Eddie, drowned five years ago, sixteen-year-old Elsie Main has tried to remember what really happened that fateful day on the beach. One minute Eddie was there, and the next he was gone. Seventeen-year-old Tay McKenzie is a cute and mysterious boy that Elsie meets in her favorite boathouse hangout. When Tay introduces Elsie to the world of freediving, she vows to find the answers she seeks at the bottom of the sea.

First line: The thing I hate most about my father is that he hates me.

Page 56: Time to play a game. I want to wind Dillon up, but I'm also testing the water for myself.
     "Where do you go with Lara? To her house? Doesn't she live on Rosemarkie Beach?"
     Dillon glares at me. My father gets all jumpy.
     "But you stay inside the house, right? You don't go to the beach, eh?" he asks.
     "Yes, Dad. Don't worry. I don't go to the beach."

I hesitated before deciding that the above was the first line. You see, two pages before, there's a cute knock-knock joke and the page before, there's this: 
     D,
     I need to talk to you about what happened that day. I'll be 
     at the Point tomorrow at six. Please come.

This is another book where I already love the voice. It's also a debut!

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the voice. Sounds like a good read. Here's mine. Friday Book Score

    ReplyDelete
  2. The voice is definitely one that draws me in. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “A LONG TIME GONE”


    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Friday 56 and Book Beginnings.

    I love the title and the cover. Sounds like Elsie is going to have her eyes opened, and she might not like what she sees.

    Here's my link to Skiing is Murder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great when a debut novel catches your interest. Sounds very promising.

    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! I've read another book that involved free diving and I'm fascinated by it. Sounds like a story I'd enjoy.
    My Friday post features THE TIME IN BETWEEN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nice one! I can't wait tor read this! Too bad I have to wait until April!!

    My Friday 56! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beginning is very strong and I do like how this sounds - great choice. Here's my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very intriguing - I've been seeing this one floating around recently!


    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice with the opening line. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why does her father hate her? O.O

    Our BB

    ReplyDelete