Thursday, April 18, 2019

#tbt: Happy Belated Birthday to Beverly Cleary!

I do try to plan these daily booktalks a week or so in advance. Were I a better librarian, I would've remembered that April 12 is Beverly Cleary's birthday and last week's #tbt would've featured her. I'm not, so here's a belated happy 102 birthday to a children's literature legend! 

Cleary was a children's librarian before becoming a writer for children. Her first book, Henry Huggins was published in 1950. She won two Newbery Honors, in 1978 for Ramona and Her Father and in 1982 for Ramona Quimby, Age 8 in 1984 for Dear Mr. Henshaw. Her strength as a writer was her ability to depict the lives of children with gentle humor and utter respect. While I did enjoy the Ramona books, my favorites were the Henry Huggins books, especially Ribsy, which was published in 1964. This is the cover of the book I grew up reading:


Want to learn more about Beverly Cleary? Visit her website

No comments:

Post a Comment