Saturday, April 20, 2019

Picture Book Review: Magnificent Birds by Narisa Togo


Magnificent Birds by Narisa Togo. unpgd. Candlewick Studio/ Candlewick Press, September, 2018. 9781536201697. (Review of finished copy courtesy of publisher.)

I haven't had a fact hound roam my library stacks in a while. Don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of business with my fiction readers. I love my needers of readers advisory and also my browsers. But I haven't had an informational grazer yet this year. Magnificent Birds is the perfect book for a browser/ grazer. 

It's slightly oversized and a bit retro-looking. Each bird is truly magnificent in some way. Each gets a double-page spread so there's plenty of room to soak up the arresting linocut art and absorb the facts about each - which include scientific name and native habitat. My only quibble is the lack of backmatter for readers interested in sources and further reading. The author's bio says that she is a lifelong bird lover, as a BS in ecology and takes groups birding when not creating art. 

Magnificent Birds should be displayed prominently. Help it find its readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment