Monday, April 15, 2019

Middle Grade Monday and Audiobook Review: Game of Stars by Sayantani DasGupta


Game of Stars by Sayantani DasGupta. Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #2. Unabridged downloadable audiobook. Read by the author. ~10 hours. Scholastic Audio, February, 2019. 9781338330885. (Review of e-audio borrowed from public library.)

My favorite kick-ass New Jersey girl is back in another over-the-top adventure. Life in Parsippany, New Jersey is rather boring compared to Kiranmala's adventures in the Kingdom Beyond. She's a bit dismayed that her new friends don't seem interested in staying in touch. She does, however, have nightly visits by the Demon Queen who has warnings for Kiran but always gets cut off before she can reveal it. Soon, she finds herself sucked into playing an inter-dimensional reality game.

Buckle up folks. The non-stop action and humor will make your head spin in the best possible ways. 

I really enjoyed the outrageous fun of the first book and think I might have enjoyed the second installment more had I read with my eyes. While I appreciated the author's youthful sounding voice and proper pronunciation of all the characters's names, the foods and cultural references, her performance was annoyingly overdone with odd pauses and inflections that screamed, "Listen up, this is important!" The audio was over-acted. I'm sticking with reading with my eyes in future installments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment