Sunday, September 8, 2013

Jessica Darling's It List: The (Totally Not) Guaranteed Guide to Popularity, Prettiness & Perfection by Megan McCafferty


(Jessica Darling's It List Series #1.) 228 p. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, September, 2013. 9780316244992. (Review from arc provided by the publisher)

Jessica Darling, star of Megan McCafferty's "Sloppy Series" gets a rewind in this new middle grade friendly series. While I have the first three "Sloppy" books in my library, I have not read them, and they haven't circulated much in the last four years so I was not one of the squealers at the table when it was booktalked at a preview though I was interested. I put the book on TOM, as I affectionately named my "to be read" "pile," and figured I get to it.

Well. It sure was the right book at the right time for me. I read about a month back and featured it in a Friday meme, but realized that I never posted a review. I pulled it off TOM in early August because I had been reading a bunch of serious books and had also received a bit of medical bad news. I decided that I needed some fun. Jessica is just what the doctor ordered.

This book was fun. Jessica is totally hilarious. Her insecurities and angst ring true. New-to-middle-school and/or friendship-changing books are a staple of children's literature. Make room on your shelf for this series. It's gentle and positive. Oh, and, did I mention, totally hilarious?

No comments:

Post a Comment