Wednesday, February 16, 2022

#tbt: Bird in a Box by Andrea Davis Pinkney

Image: LBYR

Bird in a Box by Andrea Davis Pinkney. Illustrations by Sean Qualls. 288 p. Little, Brown and Company/ Hachette Book Group, February, 2012. 9780316074032. (Own.)

Happy Thursday! One more day and then I'm on February break! I'm already behind on my scaled back GR goal, so hopefully, I will catch up on my reading then. But then, the end of the trimester is looming and I'm behind (as usual) in my grading. Sigh.

#tbt features Bird in a Box by Andrea Davis Pinkney. Illustrated by Sean Qualls. This work of historical fiction is set in 1936, in the thick of the Great Depression and is told from the POV of three children who meet in the Mercy Home for Negro Children. Hibernia is a reverend's daughter who loves to sing, but her mother abandoned the family to pursue a singing career. Otis has lost his parents in a car accident and Willie has run away from an abusive father, but not before being severely injured. The three eventually bond over the journey of boxing great Joe Louis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment