Friday, May 22, 2020

Friday Focus: Christian Robinson

Happy Friday! This week, Friday Focus highlights Christian Robinson! 
Image: Penguin Random House
Everyone who knows me, knows my motto is, "One is never too old for picture books." I love them. I still buy them for myself and for my school's library. So, when I saw an article in PW about Robinson's videos about making art, I knew he was the next Friday Focus. Who doesn't love making art? And his sunny disposition and generosity are difficult to resist. 

Christian Robinson was raised by his grandmother in Los Angeles. He always had an interest in art and creating. This interest was supported by his grandmother and some of his teachers in school. He attended California Institute of the Arts and worked as an animator for Sesame Street and Pixar before turning to picture book illustration. He has illustrated sixteen picture books and was the author as well as illustrator for two of them. 

His collaboration with Matt de la Peña, Last Stop on Market Street, won de la Peña a Newbery Medal and Robinson a Caldecott Honor.

Image: Penguin Random House

Start by visiting his website, The Art of Fun. You can follow him on Instagram @theartoffun. Get ready to gather some art materials and watch the videos on his YouTube channel, Making Space with Christian Robinson.


No comments:

Post a Comment