Friday, June 28, 2019

Fact Friday: Dogs on Duty: soldiers; best friends on the battlefield and beyond by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent

Image: Bloomsbury
Dogs on Duty: soldiers' best friends on the battlefield and beyond by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent. 48 p. Walker & Company, September, 2012. 9780802728456. (Review of purchased copy.)

Fact Friday features Dogs on Duty: soldiers' best friends on the battlefield and beyond by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent. If you are thinking that I really love books about dogs, especially dogs in the military, you would be correct. As I re-shelved a recent Fact Friday feature, I spotted this book sitting right next to it. I pulled it out and wondered why I had never read it. It wasn't until I added the book to my Goodreads shelf that I learned that I had! In March of 2013, some 2000 books ago. 2,279 to be exact. 

My love for the book holds up. Spectacular photos complement the fascinating, accessible text. Hinshaw Patent relates the history of dogs and war, dwelling a bit on the Vietnam War and the many dogs who were left behind as "equipment" much to the heartbreak of their handlers. She ends with the training and use of WMDs, Working Military Dogs, in present times. Back matter includes suggestions for further reading and a glossary. 

All this serves as a reminder to me that I should not forget to display older titles. I do admit to getting a bit lazy this year by displaying mostly new additions to the collection. Hand this to your fans of dog books, military history and just about anyone who wants an interesting read. 




No comments:

Post a Comment