Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Jacket/ Cover Dilemmas

I've been working in school libraries for twenty-one years this month. Over the years, I've covered a lot of books. First, I was the aide and that was part of my job. Then, when I was hired as the full-time librarian, my position was eliminated! So, no aide for me and I refused to spend the money to buy my books pre-cataloged. Actually, I did that one year and realized that I had no idea what I put on the shelf. There's value in cataloging and handling every single book even if processing takes a really long time because you stop to peruse more than a few books!

Every so often I would notice a cover decoration different than the jacket illustration, but I'd tape that baby down as tight as possible. Students can be very hard on library books! I definitely noticed when I covered Matthew Cordell's Wolf in the Snow. I opted not to tape the front part down. I thought I took a photo of it, but can't find it.

I don't know why, but it seems like I've noticed quite a few recently. 



The Wild Robot Escapes by Peter Brown.



Hey Kiddo! by Jarrett Krosozcka.



Strongheart by Candace Fleming.



Counting on Katherine by Helaine Becker.



Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling.

It's kind of funny that I never take the jackets off books in my personal library, so these are only discovered thanks to my being a librarian. But then, I need to tape down the covers to prolong the life of the book. Such a dilemma! I plan on paying more attention and posting as the dilemmas arise, like my occasional "Cover Coincidence" posts. Stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment