Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Teen Tuesday: Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce


Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce. Chronicles of Numair #1. Unabridged audiobook on 13 compact discs. ~15 hours. Read by Ari Meyers. Listening Library, February, 2018.  9780553552379. (Review of finished audiobook borrowed from the public library.)

Teen Tuesday features Tempests and Slaughter by Tamora Pierce. Faithful TMS Readers may recall that I featured a Pierce novel on #tbt two weeks ago. Pierce returns to the world she built there with a prequel in Tempests and Slaughter, which begins a new series called The Numair Chronicles. 

Arram Draper is the youngest student at Carthak's Imperial University. In him lies the potential to become the most powerful mage of all time. He has a knack for attracting trouble as well as the attention of the gods. The book clocks in at 480 pages and the audio spans 15 hours. It may seem daunting, but Arram's personality and adventures will enthrall readers. Pages or hours will fly.

I must admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the narrator. Nor of Arram's continued self-doubt and and self-deprecation. It felt a bit twee and was reinforced by the narration. The story grew on me and I am eager for the next installment, which I will most likely read with my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment