Friday, August 3, 2018

Fact Friday: Stubby the War Dog: The true story about World War I's bravest dog by Ann Bausum


Stubby the War Dog: the true story about World War I's bravest dog by Ann Bausum. 80 p. National Geographic Society, May, 2014. 9781426314865. (Own)

I am a sucker for a good dog story, especially about dogs that serve. I also have a high interest in the first World War. And, I think Ann Bausum is a terrific writer! Win! Win! Win!

Stubby the War Dog is engaging and accessible, accompanied by many, well-captioned photographs. In a parallel story to Winnie, American soldier, Robert Conroy adopted a stubby-tailed stray while training to deploy overseas in WWI. He smuggled Stubby overseas where Stubby's keen senses proved valuable. Bausum's narrative weaves the story of the irrepressible Stubby with facts about the Great War, satisfying both fans of dogs and military history. I just loved this story. Share it with your students, and they will too!



No comments:

Post a Comment