Friday, December 16, 2016

Friday Memes: Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.



Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby. 291 p. HarperTeen,  April, 2015. 9780062299437.

Publisher synopsis: After Quinn’s boyfriend, Trent, dies in an accident their junior year, she reaches out to the recipients of his donated organs in hopes of picking up the fragments of her now-unrecognizable life. But whoever received Trent’s heart has chosen to remain silent. The essence of a person, Quinn has always believed, is in the heart. If she finds Trent’s, then in a way, she will still have a piece of him.
Risking everything to get closure once and for all, Quinn goes outside the system to track down nineteen-year-old Colton Thomas, whose life has been forever changed by this priceless gift. But what starts as an accidental run-in quickly develops into something more, sparking an undeniable attraction. She doesn’t want to give in to it—especially since he has no idea how they’re connected—but the time Quinn spends with Colton makes her feel alive again. No matter how hard she’s falling for Colton, though, each beat of his heart reminds her of all she’s lost . . . and all that remains at stake.

First line: I don't know how I knew, when the sirens woke me just before dawn, that they were for him.

Page 56: "Hi, may I please speak to Quinn Sullivan?" The voice is male, formal.
     "This is me-she." I roll my eyes at myself. "This is Quinn."
     "Oh." He clears his throat. "Hi. You, um…I think you hit my bus yesterday? You left a note with this number?"
     "I did," I say, taking my coffee to the island. "I'm so sorry. I know I should've stayed and waited for you to get back, but I cut my lip and ended up needing stitches, and-" The doorbell rings. "I'm sorry; there's someone at the door. Can I call you right back?"

This was languishing on my TBR pile at home so I decided to donate it to my library. I just finished cataloging it and was about to put it on the shelf but I opened and started reading instead. 


10 comments:

  1. Things We Know By has a great opening sentence, it has me wanting to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya just never know what and when something might jump out at you. Sounds interesting.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blurbs are so intriguing. While I know we start with a rather heavy subject, I was amused by the 56 teaser quote--Quinn sounds like an interesting character, and I'm thinking I'd love to know more about her!

    Thank you so much for sharing! Here's my Friday 56 if you're interested in taking a look. No worries or pressure if you're not, though! Either way, happy book-ing to you in the near future...and happy Friday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound intriguing...and I'm curious about who is at the door while she is having this conversation.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “WHITE TRASH”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done that more than a few times. Other times I donate without reading. I dug into TBR mountain for my pick this week - Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got me curious. I do that sometimes. Think I won't read a book and just happen to open it. Then, I've no choice but to read it to the end. LOL

    My Friday 56 from In The Blue Hour

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting book! Here is my 56: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/friday-56-and-book-beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really good. Do you think teens would enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sounds like a hot mess... lol... the chemistry is there in that 56 though! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard a lot of good things about this - I'll have to try it. :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings) + 50/50 Friday and my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete