Saturday, November 8, 2014

What's New? Stacking the Shelves


StS is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews. Hop on over there to ogle what other bloggers got this week.

For review:

The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney. Diary of a Wimpy Kid series #9. 224 p. Abrams/ Amulet, November 4, 2014. 9781419711893.

Publisher synopsis: A family road trip is supposed to be a lot of fun . . . unless, of course, you’re the Heffleys. The journey starts off full of promise, then quickly takes several wrong turns. Gas station bathrooms, crazed seagulls, a fender bender, and a runaway pig—not exactly Greg Heffley’s idea of a good time. But even the worst road trip can turn into an adventure—and this is one the Heffleys won’t soon forget.

This arrived in my mailbox at school on Tuesday! 

Purchased: I picked these up for a student who read straight through the first five books. I hadn't been planning on buying the rest of the series because it's not as popular as I thought it might be. The few kids who read through the five were happy to get the rest from the public library. This student, alas, has no library card and really loved the books. I am such a softy.


 

Gladiator/ Mission and Clans by Darren Shan. Zom-B series #6, 7, & 8. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.

And finally, a while ago, I pointed a student who wanted "action" to the first two Ash Mistry books, which came through my Junior Library Guild subscription though I hadn't read them. He raved about them and told me I really should read them, so I did. With my ears because he brought in a friend to check out the books. He was right. They are amazing and intense. Book two leaves the reader with a fairly intense twist and cliff-hanger ending. Research into when the third book was being released revealed that there were no plans "at this time" to bring the next volume to the US. There was nothing for it then. I ordered it in from the UK. It's a paperback and the cover doesn't match the US editions, but we NEED to know what happens to Ash! 



Ash Mistry and the World of Darkness by Sarwat Chadda. The Ash Mistry Chronicles #3. 320 p. HarperCollins Children's Books, July, 2013. 978-0007447350.                   
Publisher synopsis: Rick Riordan did it for Greece. Now Sarwat Chadda does it for India… Book three in the incredible action-adventure trilogy about Ash Mistry, reluctant hero and living weapon of the death goddess Kali.
Ash Mistry is in a world of pain. A parallel world in fact, where another version of him seems to be living his life, and the evil Lord Savage – now all-powerful and adored by the nation – is about to carry out a terrible plan.
Worse still, Ash’s superpowers, invested in him by the Death Goddess Kali, seem no longer to be working.
Without Kali, can Ash defeat Savage and save the world? 

That's what's new with me. What's new with you? Leave a link in the comments section. Happy reading!


2 comments:

  1. I need to check out the Sarwat Chadda books. I loved his Devil's Kiss books. Thank goodness the Zom-B chronicles are being released in military-volume bind-ups. There are so many of them! Great haul!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My StS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any Darren Shan yet, should since there is so many of them! :) haven't really read any reviews or had a look at ratings so I'll have to check those out first. :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete