Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Covers

TTT is a weekly meme over at Broke and Bookish. This week's theme is covers I'd hang as art. Nice.

Starting with a couple of picture books. The first was one of my favorite picture books of 2013. In fact, I would hang most of the paintings in the book as art.
Paul Meets Bernadette by Rosy Lamb. Candlewick Press, December, 2013. 9780763661304.


I would hang just about any cover by Kadir Nelson on my walls. Scratch that. Make that any painting, sketch or doodle by this incredibly talented artist. Knock, knock, oh Caldecott committee? Will you stop giving him honors please? One of my favorites of his is Henry's Freedom Box.
Henry's Freedom Box: a true story from the Underground Railroad by Ellen Levine. Illustrated by Kadir Nelson. Scholastic/ 2007. 9780439777339.

A couple of middle grade novels that released this year, which also happen to be distinguished debuts.

Hope is a Ferris Wheel by Robin Herrera. Amulet Books, March, 2014. 9781419710391. I just realized that I never reviewed this one. 


The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer. Penguin Young Readers Group, May 1, 2014. 9780399163937. I'm just past the middle of this one and am loving it so much that I slowed my reading down to savor every last word and character. I really hope the Newbery Committee has this one on its radar.

And one of my favorite middle grade novels of 2014 also happens to have a cover that I'd hang on my walls.


Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan. Penguin Group, August, 2013. 9780803738553.

And now for some YA covers:

The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson. Viking, January, 2014. 9780670012091. I think I'm in a minority for not loving this book. I generally love everything this fearless author has written and I loved it in the beginning, but not as much by the end. The cover is stunning and the book is well worth the read.



172 Hours on the Moon by Johann Harstad. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, April, 2012. 9780316182881.

I had trouble choosing which covers from Matt de la Peña were my favorites. Here are my top two, Mexican Whiteboy and We Were Here (which I recently reread with my ears):


 

The last two are not even published yet. I adore these authors and try to read everything they write. I recently heard about these and featured one last week and am featuring one tomorrow in a Waiting on Wednesday post.


Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld. Simon Pulse, September, 2014. 9781481422345.


Blue Lily, Lily Blue (Raven Boys #3) by Maggie Stiefvater. Scholastic, October, 2014. 9780545424967.



2 comments:

  1. Great covers! I've seen Hope is a Ferris Wheel a lot today, it's the first time I've seen it but i's such a beautiful cover. Blue Lily, Lily Blue is absolutely stunning, I adore that cover. Nice picks :) Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your covers, especially the Hope is a Ferris Wheel cover.

    http://crushingcinders.com/?p=723

    ReplyDelete