Tuesday, March 2, 2021

An Aside

This post started as an aside in this review. It grew too long and potentially distracted from the review, thus this post.

I had an online conversation with an author who blogs yesterday about an interview he had posted. I shared that I enjoyed the exchange very much. He thanked me and said something along the lines of, "No one reads blogs anymore, but I like doing it."

That statement kind of stopped me in my tracks. No one reads blogs anymore? Well, I do. His blog is in my feed along with quite a few others. Granted, ten or so years ago, when blogging went through a crazy kind of competitive "follow me and I'll follow you back" thing, I had nearly three hundred in my feed, which I eventually pared down to fifty or so that I actually read. But I still read blogs and judging from my stats, a steady number of people read mine. He is right about one thing though, I do it because I enjoy it. It has become a habit. 

I'd like to think that blogs are still relevant and that those still doing it are doing it out of love of literature and sharing that love, not pursuing free books. I buy or borrow as many books as I get for "free" and those books are either placed in my school library's collections or donated (Never Counted Out is my fave place to send books).

What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment