Friday, February 21, 2020

Friday Memes: All the Days Past, All the Days to Come by Mildred D. Taylor

Book Beginnings is hosted by Rose City Reader and Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice.

Image: Penguin Random House
All the Days Past, All the Days to Come by Mildred D. Taylor. 484 p. Viking/ Penguin Random House, January, 2020. 9780399257308. 

Publisher synopsis: The saga of the Logan family–made famous in the Newbery Medal-winning Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry–concludes in a long-awaited and deeply fulfilling story.

In her tenth book, Mildred Taylor completes her sweeping saga about the Logan family of Mississippi, which is also the story of the civil rights movement in America of the 20th century. Cassie Logan, first met in Song of the Trees and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, is a young woman now, searching for her place in the world, a journey that takes her from Toledo to California, to law school in Boston, and, ultimately, in the 60s, home to Mississippi
to participate in voter registration. She is witness to the now-historic events of the century: the Great Migration north, the rise of the civil rights movement, preceded and precipitated by the racist society of America, and the often violent confrontations that brought about change. Rich, compelling storytelling is Ms. Taylor’s hallmark, and she fulfills expectations as she brings to a close the stirring family story that has absorbed her for over forty years. It is a story she was born to tell.

First Line: Man and I were waiting for the bus.

Page 56: I met Stacey's eyes in the dark and knew there were no further words to say. He was right, and that's all there was to that. He was right about everything. We drove the rest of the way home in silence. Like the night, the streets were beginning to quiet, and in silence I thought about the city of Toledo without its signs, but segregated anyway. I thought about Toledo with all its opportunities, but segregated anyway. At least down home in Mississippi and throughout the South, folks were direct and honest about what was expected. Everybody knew exactly were a body stood. There was no pretense to equality. The signs were everywhere. White Only, Colored Not Allowed.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read, but should, the first books in this series. Isn't this one written forty years after the first? My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. I haven't read the entire series and it has been awhile since I did so. I think it stands alone. Of course, I think the series is totally awesome and worth reading. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I was just reading an essay by author Jesamyn Ward in which she mentions meeting Cassie for the first time in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. The book was one of my childhood favorites, and I was thinking what a great series this would be to share with my daughter. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good series and a good book by itself. I didn't read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry when I was a kid. I should read it now.

    ReplyDelete