Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Teen Tuesday: Catwoman: soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas


Catwoman: soulstealer by Sarah J. Maas. DC Icons series #3. Unabridged e-audiobook. ~10 hours. Read by Julia Whelan. Random House/ Listening Library, August, 2018. 9780525595427. (Review of e-audio borrowed from public library. Own hc.)

Teen Tuesday features Catwoman: soul stealer by Sarah J. Maas. This is the third book of the DC Icons series in which popular YA authors imagine DC superheroes as teens. All is relatively quiet in Gotham City. Batman's away and his teen protege, Batwing, aka Luke Fox is keeping an eye on things. Enter one Holly Vanderhees, a rich socialite with a penchant for fundraisers. The only problem is that Holly is really Selina Kyle, aka Catwoman, newly returned to Gotham City with a secret.

As someone who is not a superhero aficionado, I almost feel as though I should not weigh in on any of these books in the series. My experience with Batman was with the 1960s television show featuring Adam West as Batman. Robin was his sidekick. Catwoman was played by Julie Newmar. Who is this Batwing? Is this a new creation or have I missed something? Catwoman and Batman always seemed to have a thing. Why Batwing?

And, I have never read anything written by Sarah J. Maas! The worldbuilding was bleak, bleak, bleak as Gotham City is. The story flashes back to slowly inform readers of Selina's backstory. She's fierce. She's a survivor. She loves only her sick sister and will do anything to keep her safe. Redeemable qualities and yet...

I wrote on GR that I thought the book "curiously slow and bland." Thinking back now, that might've been partly the narrator's fault. Whelan's delivery had a measured, almost blasé coolness to it and there was a tremendous amount of detail. I'm glad I no longer give stars on GR; because I think I liked the book more than I thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment