Friday, January 5, 2018

Fact Friday: Review of The Street Beneath My Feet by Charlotte Guillain and Yuval Zommer


The Street Beneath My Feet by Charlotte Guillain and Yuval Zommer. 20 p. words & pictures/ The Quarto Group, March, 2017. 9781682971369. (Review from finished copy courtesy of publisher.)

When I did my Montessori training some twenty-five years ago, there was something called an "impressionistic lesson." It was a story that was usually told to begin a unit that was intended to pique the students' curiosity. It also helped if there were props. That's what I thought of when I read this. Its accordion-folded presentation makes quite the impression. Make room on your floor for this and you will find kids sprawled out to pore over the journey from one side of the world to the other. Attractively packaged with an embossed cover, inside there's a ton of Earth science facts and intricately drawn illustrations. My only quibble is that there's no backmatter. My students won't care a whit about that. They are going to love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment