Monday, September 5, 2016

Non-Fiction Monday: My First Book of Hockey by the Editors of SIKids


My First Book of Hockey by the Editors of SIKids. A Rookie Book. 48 p. Liberty Street/ Time Inc. Books, September 20, 2016. 9781618931771. (Review from finished copy courtesy of publisher.)

My First Book of Hockey is the third in the Rookie Book series and the second of which I've read. I enjoyed My First Book of Baseball, so when I opened the package containing My First Book of Hockey, I was psyched, especially because I know very little about the game. 

As in My First Book of Baseball, a young player provides color commentary starting on the end-papers as he suits up. Design and organization are similar in that each section is color coded and corresponds to the period of play. Full-color photographs, often accompanied by humorous speech bubbles, of a variety of teams and players (not identified) illustrate positions, equipment, shots, etc. Fundamental terminology, such as face-off, pass, check and icing are explained. 

Quite a few action shots are highlighted with helpful arrows such as the physics of a slap shot or the split-second dynamics of a rebound. 

This series is sure to be popular among young fans as well as would-be fans. Entertaining as well as educational. Surely every collection needs this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment