Saturday, August 20, 2016

What's new? Stacking the Shelves


Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews. Hop on over there to ogle what other bloggers got this week.

For review:

The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes by Wade Albert White. 370 p. Little, Brown and Company, September 13, 2016. 978031630573.

Publisher synopsis: A thrilling debut novel where fantasy and science fiction meet, dragons aren't as innocent as they look, and nothing is quite what it seems.

Anne has spent most of her thirteen years dreaming of the day she and her best friend Penelope will finally leave Saint Lupin's Institute for Perpetually Wicked and Hideously Unattractive Children. When the big day arrives, a series of very curious happenings lead to Anne being charged with an epic quest. Anne, Penelope, and new questing partner Hiro have only days to travel to strange new locales, solve myriad riddles, and triumph over monstrous foes--or face the horrible consequences.

Packed with action, humor, and endless heart, this debut novel marks the first volume in an irresistible and original fantasy series.

Purchased: I took a spur of the moment trip to Massachusetts Thursday to Friday. My husband put together a shelf unit for #4 son, who lives in Somerville. I had not yet seen his apartment and the Eric Carle Museum had two exhibits that interested me; so, off I went to deliver the shelves. 




I bought Harold and the Purple Crayon as part of a book-themed baby gift at the museum shop, then trekked to Blue Bunny Books in Dedham to browse and check out whether Water Princess might be available early at the store.


It was not. I pre-ordered it to be autographed and sent to me and picked out a tee shirt for the hubbins and three prints. One of which I gifted to son and his girlfriend for their apartment. Isn't it cute?



I received a gift as well!


So Few of Me by Peter H. Reynolds. 32 p. Candlewick Press, August, 2006. 9780763626235.

Publisher synopsis: Leo's list of things to do keeps growing, until one day he wishes, "If only there were two of me." Just as the words are out of his mouth, poof! Another Leo appears! Two Leos become three, three become four, and four become more . . . but Leo can't help but notice that he has even more to do than before. As he struggles to deal with his overcomplicated life, Leo realizes that there may be a simpler solution to his overscheduling woes. Peter H. Reynolds, the award-winning author-illustrator of THE DOT and ISH, returns with an important message for readers of all ages: stop and take a little time to dream.

Once in Somerville, I took #4 son & J out to eat then had a terrible time falling asleep. Honestly, with all the driving I did I should've dropped right off!

J. had to work on Friday so #4 and I had breakfast out and walked around his neighborhood, which included walking past Candlewick Press (they live down the block) and stopping by Porter Square Books. It had a delightful children's and YA section. I picked these up:


My Miserable Life by F.L. Block. Illustrated by Edward Hemingway.184 p. Henry Holt and Co. (BYR), June, 2016. 9780805096286.

Publisher synopsis: Ben Hunter has a miserable life -- M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E! His sister will only talk to him through text messages, his mom won't let him eat sugar or even go for a bike ride unchaperoned, and a bully at school steals all of his friends. Told in Ben's voice, through entries from his school journal with commentary from his teacher, this very funny and often poignant narrative chronicles an eventful year in the life of a thoughtful fourth grader.


Draw the Line by Laurent Linn. 520 p. Margaret K. McElderry Books/ Simon & Schuster, May, 2016. 9781481452809.

Publisher synopsis: After a hate crime occurs in his small Texas town, Adrian Piper must discover his own power, decide how to use it, and know where to draw the line in this stunning debut novel exquisitely illustrated by the author.
Adrian Piper is used to blending into the background. He may be a talented artist, a sci-fi geek, and gay, but at his Texas high school those traits would only bring him the worst kind of attention.
In fact, the only place he feels free to express himself is at his drawing table, crafting a secret world through his own Renaissance-art-inspired superhero, Graphite.
But in real life, when a shocking hate crime flips his world upside down, Adrian must decide what kind of person he wants to be. Maybe it’s time to not be so invisible after all—no matter how dangerous the risk.


The Last Dragon by Jane Yolen. 144 p. Dark Horse Comics, May, 2016. 9781616558741.

Publisher synopsis: Master storyteller Jane Yolen (Owl Moon, Sword of the Rightful King) and celebrated fantasy artist Rebecca Guay (Swamp Thing, Magic: The Gathering) weave a textured and lyrical tale of adventure, homelands, and heroism the hard way.
Two hundred years ago, humans drove the dragons from the islands of May. Now, the last of the dragons rises to wreak havoc anew—with only a healer's daughter and a kite-flying would-be hero standing in its way.
The hardcover edition of The Last Dragon made the YALSA 2012 Great Graphic Novels list and was named #31 of 50 best new comics from Sequential Tart!

I hit the road around 11 because I hoped to stop at Jeff Kinney's book store, An Unlikely Story on my way home. I also wanted to hit the Tappan Zee before rush hour. 


My purchases were mostly non-book. If you are ever in the area, this is definitely worth a detour. The building is quite beautiful and the inside is gorgeous with exposed beams and lots of reclaimed wood. The cafe featured lots of interesting food. 

There's  a book in the bag about North American Birdsongs in there along with a Wimpy Kid Tie (the last one) that I learned about when Cynthia Lord posted on FB about the one she bought when she visited. I also purchased an adorable food truck bird feeder. I do not need another bird feeder! And another Little Prince coloring book which I am sending to my Somerville hosts. 

All-in-all, this was such a fun, lightning-strike of a trip. Oh! I nearly finished an audiobook too! I have one disc left on The Last Star by Rick Yancey. As soon as I schedule this post, I plan on sitting down and listening.

That's what's new with me. What's new with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment